Hydro's new power line faces delay

By // News | Hydro's new power line faces delay
Email to a friend Plain text Print version // Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

By: Bruce Owen

Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments:

John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press archives
Terry Sargeant: 'We're on a very tight timeline'

Enlarge Image

John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press archives Terry Sargeant: 'We're on a very tight timeline' (WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

Manitoba Hydro's new Bipole III transmission line could face a significant delay because of the utility's attempt to change its route -- to avoid fragile caribou and moose habitat -- without redoing its environmental assessment of the project.

That supplemental assessment would give First Nations and the Manitoba Metis Federation (MMF) an opportunity to study the new route and how it would impact their communities, but Hydro is concerned it could delay plans for a 2017 in-service date for the power line.

"It would certainly have impacts on the schedule we're desperately trying to maintain," Hydro spokesman Glenn Schneider said Thursday.

The Crown corporation tabled its revised route plans late last week with two major changes: the first to veer the line around the Wabowden woodland caribou grounds and the second around an area farther south known as moose meadows. The province recognized woodland caribou as threatened under the province's Endangered Species Act in June 2006 and some parts of western Manitoba are now closed to moose hunting because of low populations.

The 1,400-kilometre Bipole III line proposal is currently before the province's Clean Environment Commission (CEC) as it conducts public hearings on the line's environmental impact.

The CEC is powerless to compel Hydro to redo its environmental assessment on the revised route but urges the utility to offer more information for public review.

"I think it would be pretty necessary for participants to have some kind of an environmental assessment PDQ," CEC chairman Terry Sargeant said at a hearing earlier this week.

"I would say to Manitoba Hydro that we're on a very tight timeline right now. If we don't conclude these hearings by the end of November, we may be looking at January, the end of January before they are concluded."

The revised route has added more flames to the fire of the MMF's threatened court challenge against Bipole III, which could delay the project indefinitely.

The MMF and Pine Creek First Nation argue they have not been adequately consulted on the project by Hydro -- a legal requisite under Canada's constitution.

"Whether at the end of the day people are supportive of what the new route changes are or not is not the point," MMF lawyer Jason Madden said. "The point is government and Hydro don't get to go behind closed doors, make the changes and not come back out to the public and to aboriginal groups and say one, what do you think about the changes, and secondly, what are the environmental effects?"

The MMF and other groups want the CEC to adjourn its hearing until Hydro complies with the law. The CEC had planned to wrap up its hearing by month's end.

"It is my submission that the appropriate way to deal with this mess is to simply adjourn the hearing process until such time as Hydro has got its act together," Peguis First Nation lawyer Robert Dawson told the CEC panel Tuesday.

Regardless of what Hydro does or what the CEC says in its final report on Bipole III, the MMF has already signalled they will go to court to block the project.

"This isn't about Hydro's schedule," Madden said. "This is about fairness."

The MMF and Peguis First Nation say Bipole III will cut through their traditional lands. They say if it's built, they want a cut of the revenue it generates through surplus power exports to the United States.

Hydro negotiated a revenue-sharing deal with the Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation on the recently completed Wuskwatim generation station near Thompson and is currently negotiating a similar agreement with four northern bands on the proposed Keeyask dam project.

Manitoba Hydro CEO Scott Thomson has said the province risks rolling blackouts and a potentially crippling hit to the economy if it doesn't go ahead with a $20-billion plan to build Bipole III, Keeyask and the Conawapa generating station.

The bipole line, estimated to cost $3.28 billion, is to run down the west side of the province and is intended to bring more reliability to Hydro's system, including meeting rising domestic demand in southern Manitoba.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

Bipole III quotes

"I mean, I don't see how we can conclude these hearings until we have had a fair environmental assessment of what may well be the final route of this project."

-- Terry Sargeant, chairman of Manitoba's Clean Environment Commission

"This is not Etch-a-Sketch transmission routing. There needs to be an environmental assessment based upon the route that is before the commission. It's plain and simple."

-- Manitoba Metis Federation lawyer Jason Madden

"We have had no approach, no conversation, no contact from Manitoba Hydro to discuss or consider this. It has been up to us to pull teeth."

-- Pine Creek First Nation spokesman Warren Mills

"Ultimately, I think any participant who walks out of here should have only one feeling, shall we say, and that is that they were fairly treated."

-- Peguis First Nation lawyer Robert Dawson

-- source: Clean Environment Commission transcripts Nov. 6, 2012

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 9, 2012 A14

Tagged : No tags for this article

Headlines Newsview all

Aaron MacDonald, 20-year-old Dartmouth man sentenced 5.5 years for abduction attempts

A 20-year-old Dartmouth man who pleaded guilty to several charges in relation to two dramatic abduction attempts was sentenced to 5.5 years minus time served ... Full story

Boyfriend of missing Halifax woman received a strange text message from the cellphone of his girlfriend

The boyfriend of a missing Halifax woman told CBC News he is suspicious about the last text message he received from his girlfriend's cellphone before ... Full story

Saskatchewan Senator Pamela Wallin Filing Lists Toronto Home

Senator Pamela Wallin is listed as a resident of Toronto — and not Saskatchewan, the province she represents in the Senate — according to the ... Full story

Canadian Soccer Association Tells Quebec Turbans Are OK

Sikh soccer players in Quebec have received some high-level support in their bid to be able to wear turbans on the field. The Canadian Soccer Association ... Full story

NASA Map Shows What Antarctica Would Look Like Without Ice

The Antarctic continent is a frozen landscape of snow and sleet, but a new map NASA exposes what the region would look like if all ... Full story

Obama Defends Phone Data Collection Program

U.S. President Barack Obama vigorously defended sweeping secret surveillance into America's phone records and foreigners' internet use, declaring "we have to make choices as a ... Full story

MP Brent Rathgeber Explains 'Difficult Decision' to Quit Tory Caucus

Alberta MP Brent Rathgeber said it was a "difficult decision" to quit the Conservative caucus but that so far his constituents are showing support for ... Full story

U.S. Secretly Collecting Huge Number of Phone Records

The government is secretly collecting the telephone records of millions of U.S. customers of Verizon under a top-secret court order, according to the chairwoman of ... Full story

Neil Macdonald: How to Tell 'a Slap on the Bottom From a Rape'

A splendid example of a democracy at its finest happened here this week. Americans just weren't paying much attention. The most senior military men in America ... Full story

House Where Notorious Rob Ford Photo Taken Is Identified

Published reports have identified the house where a notorious photo of Rob Ford was taken, and that is at the centre of a scandal involving ... Full story

Abbotsford Sorry for Using Manure to Drive Out Homeless

The City of Abbotsford has apologized for spreading chicken manure over a popular gathering place for the homeless in an apparent bid to drive them ... Full story

Rate this article

0

Breaking News

Royals or celebrities? Prince William and Kate take Manhattan

Prince William and Kate arrive in New York City today, the start of a whirlwind trip that will reflect their high-wattage celebrity status in the ...

Canadian Forces medical team sent to fight Ebola in Sierra Leone

A Canadian Forces medical team left CFB Trenton in Ontario on Saturday en route to Britain, where they’ll undergo training before deploying to Sierra Leone ...

John Baird: Canada won't expand airstrikes on ISIS to Syria

Canada has no plans to follow the United States in expanding airstrikes against the ISIS jihadists in Syria, Foreign Minister John Baird said Saturday during ...

New Horizon robotic probe awakened, begins exploration of Pluto

After nine years and a journey of 4.8 billion kilometres, NASA's New Horizons robotic probe awoke from hibernation on Saturday to begin an unprecedented mission ...

Syrian troops repel ISIS attack on air base

Syrian government forces repelled an attack by the Islamic State group on a major air base in the country's east on Saturday, in fighting that ...

Justin Bourque evidence release could have wider impact, lawyer says

One day after a judge made public candid audio and video recordings related to Moncton Mountie killer Justin Bourque's murder spree, his lawyer says the decision to release the evidence ...

CFIA confirms avian influenza in B.C. has spread to a 5th farm

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency confirmed Saturday afternoon that avian influenza had spread to a fifth Fraser Valley farm, a turkey producer near Abbotsford, B.C. Farms affected by ...

Body of missing Calgary mom kept in home for 2 years

Calgary police say the common law husband and children of Lisa Michelle Mitchell, a missing Calgary woman, lived among what are believed to be her ...

'Impossible to forget': Polytechnique remembered 25 years later

Fourteen beams of light shot out into the night sky over Montreal on Saturday, one for each of the 14 victims of the École Polytechnique massacre that ...

Mayor wants mandatory annual drug testing for teens between 12 and 18

The mayor of a Budapest district wants to introduce mandatory annual drug tests for children between the ages of 12 and 18, as well as ...