Were you in the area?
Submit your breaking news, stories, photos and videos.
Upload Now You must be a member of the CBC News Community to upload. Sign Up now.
Two bodies have been found at the site of an explosion in an industrial area of Sherbrooke, Que.
Const. René Dubreuil, spokesman for the Sherbrooke police, said the bodies were found Thursday afternoon when emergency workers were combing through the debris.
Hours later, another person was found amid the debris, said Dubreuil.
"She was hiding in the debris and she was hiding because she was scared," said Dubreuil. "The person was found by firefighters when they made a search of the building to find people who were missing."
A total of 19 people were brought to the emergency room at the Sherbrooke University Hospital Centre (CHUS). Of those 19 people, four were transferred to the burn unit at Montreal's Hôtel-Dieu hospital and one remains in intensive care, according to Sylvie Vallières, spokeswoman for the CHUS.
Two of the people transferred were airlifted by helicopter.
Typically, burn victims who are transferred to the Hôtel-Dieu hospital have received burns to more than 30 per cent of their body along with burns to the face and respiratory tracts.
"We have quickly tried to identify all the patients we received so we could communicate with families," said Céline Gervais, director of nursing at the hospital. "We opened up places to hold families in this hard time."
A Code Orange was issued at the hospital and all on-duty doctors were called to assist with the injured.
The explosion happened at about 1:30 p.m. ET at Neptune Technologies et Bioressources Inc., located in the industrial area on Pépin Street.
The company makes health products from krill oil, which contains omega-3 fatty acids.
At a brief news conference this evening, Neptune chief operating officer Michel Chartrand said the company is providing the appropriate support to its staff.
Chartrand said the company will continue to investigate the cause of the explosion with emergency services.
"All we're preoccupied with right now is our employees' well-being," said Chartrand. "Our next steps will be focused on them."
Fire followed explosion
The blast sparked a fire at the site and thick black smoke could be seen for kilometres.
Authorities say they were flooded with over a hundred calls within minutes of the explosion from people who heard the blast.
Firefighters arrived quickly and buildings surrounding the site were evacuated.
By 3:45 p.m., fire officials said the fire had been brought under control, but that they were still in emergency mode.
A fire department spokesman said that all 65 employees had been accounted for.
Three people were initially reported missing but then located.
Police set up a large perimeter around the site and asked people to stay away while they kept searching the debris because of the risk of toxic exposure.
Environment Quebec said the toxicity concern stemmed from the plant's 15,000-litre acetone reserve, which was struck by the fire.
Acetone is flammable, and when ingested can cause irritation.
During a news conference Thursday evening, Dr. Marc-André Leclair said the fumes were not toxic and that everyone should be reassured.
Transport Quebec closed Highway 410 in both directions between Highway 10 and de Portland Street to divert traffic from the area.
It's remains unclear what caused the blast.With files from The Canadian Press
Headlines Newsview all
British Columbia is home to the healthiest Canadian population, while residents in Newfoundland and Labrador and the three territories are the least healthy, according to ... Full story
The point man for British Columbia's effort to save endangered mountain caribou says a controversial wolf cull will likely be necessary for the next five ... Full story
A former Cornwall, Ont., man who once owned an Ontario Hockey League team has been sentenced to almost 22 years in prison by a California ... Full story
Rate this article
- Aaron MacDonald, 20-year-old Dartmouth man sentenced 5.5 years for abduction attempts
- Boyfriend of missing Halifax woman received a strange text message from the cellphone of his girlfriend
- McDonald Pornography Upsets Mom
Three young people booked on murder warrants in the shooting death of a yoga teacher in Northern California are also suspected of killing a 23-year-old ...
The California Coastal Commission on Thursday approved a $100 million US expansion of the tanks SeaWorld uses to hold killer whales in San Diego — ...
The National's At Issue panel participated in a special edition of electoral talk on Thursday, with the focus on the concerns and questions of first-time ...
Stephen Harper's security detail restrained and removed a protester who rushed the stage and got within a metre of the Conservative leader at a campaign ...
The Ontario Public Service Employees Union has released details of the tentative three-year contract it reached with the Liberal government. OPSEU reached a deal with the ...
Six different Winnipeg skaters scored in the season opener, and Jets coach Paul Maurice is happy about that. Not just for the well-distributed scoring, but ...
CBC News continues to receive phone calls and e-mails from voters across the GTA reporting mistakes on their voter cards following a CBC report about people ...
City officials in South Carolina approved a $6.5 million US settlement Thursday with the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white ...
Toronto Blue Jays' fans were charged up for the team's first trip to the playoffs in 22 years, but left Rogers Centre disappointed after a 5-3 ...
It's unlikely to be a so-called October surprise — an event that could have a drastic effect on the course of the election — but the re-emergence of ...