The NHL has suspended Winnipeg Jets defenceman Jacob Trouba for two games for an illegal check to the head of Ottawa Senators forward Mark Stone.
The incident occurred at 6:42 of the third period of Winnipeg's 3-2 win in Ottawa on Sunday.
Stone had just made a pass in the Winnipeg zone when Trouba hit him with an open-ice elbow to the head.
Stone did not return to the game but has travelled with the Senators for their upcoming road trip. Trouba was assessed a minor penalty at the time of the play.
A first-time offender, Trouba will forfeit $33,333.34 US in salary.
He will miss Winnipeg's games Tuesday in Toronto and Feb. 28 at home to Minnesota. He will be eligible to return when Winnipeg hosts St. Louis on March 3.
Latest USA News
- Province speeds up nominee program
- Horrific details emerge in tiny toddler's murder case
- We know you're bluffing, Gary... and that's too bad
- Septuagenarian running to hall of fame honour
- Trudeau: 'trusted' U.S. administration said Assad responsible for gas attack
- Police chief not sure what's behind rise in 911 calls, violent crimes
- RCMP confirm East Selkirk triple shooting a double murder-suicide
- Kinew determined to shake his past, NDP's in bid for leadership
- Health reform hitting hard
- Major surgery for city hospitals
- Canadian labour leader Bob White dead, instrumental in creating CAW
- Trudeau sends letter apologizing for responding in French to English questions
- Trouba gets pair for his Malkin-like head hit
- Loblaw resets passwords for all PC Plus accounts following security breach
- For some festival attendees, the rain on the plains is hardly a pain
- Court hearing on city's growth fees rescheduled
- Tensions emerge in Manitoba border town as more migrants seek refuge
- Manitoba on fire at 5-0
- Conservative group cancels speech by Yiannopoulos
- Plane carrying 5 people hits Australian shopping mall
- Mayor Bowman drafts request for public inquiry into police headquarters project
- Bell acquisition of MTS all clear to go ahead March 17
- Brandon officers face driving charges after IIU review
- Food for thought: dirty, potentially dangerous spots closed, fined
- WestJet pilot orders pizza for rerouted Air Canada passengers in Fredericton
- We meat again
- A silent late-night ride on a bus to madness
- Canada Goose files for public offering on Toronto and New York exchanges
- Stuart McLean, host of CBC Radio's 'Vinyl Cafe,' has died
- Murder suspect in bus driver's death has long criminal record
- Former Blue Bombers executive is Siloam Mission's new quarterback
- Child-safety cases top priority: chief justice
- Bowman speaks out on 'reprehensible' anti-Semitic threat
- Barren beauty
- Brother and sister both snag junior curling championship victories
- Nurse shortage forcing WRHA to close QuickCare clinic
- Crown doubles price of Medical Arts Building
- Overhaul of road repair contracting process hits speed bump
- 5 dead, 8 wounded in airport shooting; US veteran arrested
- Can you hear him now? Pallister uses phone in Costa Rica; email for emergencies only