A Calgary police officer is listed in stable condition after he was severely injured during a struggle with a suspect.
The incident occurred yesterday afternoon at the Marlborough shopping mall in northeast Calgary.
Acting police chief Trevor Daroux (dah-ROO') says a suspect attacked the officer with a "large bladed weapon" after police responded to reports of a fight at a nearby light
Daroux says the suspect confronted the officer after running into the mall.
He says the officer first used his Taser, but it was ineffective so he discharged his service firearm.
It was unclear last night whether the suspect, who police say is known to them, was hit by a bullet.
Daroux would only say that the officer and suspect were both in hospital in stable condition.
The province's police watchdog, the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, is investigating the incident.
Latest USA News
- Mental illness cited in deaths of Steinbach father and son
- Brrrrr-utal! Spring temperatures likely weeks away
- Wheeler, muckers lead way to victory
- Civil trials moving at brisker pace
- Taking a stand against harassment
- City eyes traffic lights at site of fatal collision
- Winnipeg has love affair with horror
- Waste not, want not
- A valuable space, lost in litigation
- Free Press Head Start for April 3
- Secret life of plants making music
- Ex-Hydro chairman refutes premier
- Wire-to-wire world champ
- Optimism shines bright at upbeat Juno Awards show in Vancouver
- Canada joins U.S., Europe in expelling Russian spies for British poison attack
- Feds ease restrictions on prescription heroin to address opioid epidemic
- Mexico official: Iowa family died from water heater gas leak
- White House: Trump thinks Stormy Daniels lied about threat
- Developer to alter Pembina Highway apartment plans
- It's a great time to be a sports fan in Winnipeg
- He has the answers
- Manitoba announces operators of legal cannabis stores
- Feds to help Churchill residents pay high cost of gas
- Journalism still necessary in Canada: survey
- Getting into the weeds
- A call for justice
- Family, friends gather to protest reduced sentences for young offenders convicted of killing Serena McKay
- Two people dead in fatal trailer fire in Grand Rapids
- 200 mourners attend funeral for boy killed at crosswalk
- Jets penalty killing third-best in the league
- New lease on life for Boyd Building
- Environment Canada issues extreme cold weather warnings for much of the country
- Film festival will promote black film makers
- Manitoba Theatre reports surplus
- Frigid temperature doesn't stop shoppers
- Thief nabs $30,000 worth of veal in stolen trailer on Christmas Day
- On a cold winter's night... their last Noel
- Quiet change to free downtown parking called deceitful
- Local shelters ensure everyone gets a warm bed during cold snap
- Thieves not idle: police warn drivers about increase in car thefts