The Ontario government has been given the green light to move ahead with a $50-billion lawsuit against a group of major tobacco companies.
Earlier this week, Ontario Superior Justice Barbara Conway dismissed an application by a seven foreign companies that argued the court has no jurisdiction over them.
"We will continue to vigorously pursue this litigation on behalf of all Ontarians," said Ontario Attorney General John Gerretsen in a statement Friday.
Ontario launched the lawsuit against 14 tobacco companies in September 2009 to recoup past and present health-care costs related to smoking.
The lawsuit says that since 1955, tobacco companies have been liable for these costs because they knew about the addictiveness and associated health risks of cigarettes.
It also claims the companies misrepresented the risks, did not take steps to reduce them and marketed cigarettes towards children and teens.
None of these allegations have been proven in court.
According to the Ontario government, smoking costs the health-care system $1.6 billion a year and is the leading cause of premature deaths and illness in the province.
Latest USA News
- Mental illness cited in deaths of Steinbach father and son
- Brrrrr-utal! Spring temperatures likely weeks away
- Wheeler, muckers lead way to victory
- Civil trials moving at brisker pace
- Taking a stand against harassment
- City eyes traffic lights at site of fatal collision
- Winnipeg has love affair with horror
- Waste not, want not
- A valuable space, lost in litigation
- Free Press Head Start for April 3
- Secret life of plants making music
- Ex-Hydro chairman refutes premier
- Wire-to-wire world champ
- Optimism shines bright at upbeat Juno Awards show in Vancouver
- Canada joins U.S., Europe in expelling Russian spies for British poison attack
- Feds ease restrictions on prescription heroin to address opioid epidemic
- Mexico official: Iowa family died from water heater gas leak
- White House: Trump thinks Stormy Daniels lied about threat
- Developer to alter Pembina Highway apartment plans
- It's a great time to be a sports fan in Winnipeg
- He has the answers
- Manitoba announces operators of legal cannabis stores
- Feds to help Churchill residents pay high cost of gas
- Journalism still necessary in Canada: survey
- Getting into the weeds
- A call for justice
- Family, friends gather to protest reduced sentences for young offenders convicted of killing Serena McKay
- Two people dead in fatal trailer fire in Grand Rapids
- 200 mourners attend funeral for boy killed at crosswalk
- Jets penalty killing third-best in the league
- New lease on life for Boyd Building
- Environment Canada issues extreme cold weather warnings for much of the country
- Film festival will promote black film makers
- Manitoba Theatre reports surplus
- Frigid temperature doesn't stop shoppers
- Thief nabs $30,000 worth of veal in stolen trailer on Christmas Day
- On a cold winter's night... their last Noel
- Quiet change to free downtown parking called deceitful
- Local shelters ensure everyone gets a warm bed during cold snap
- Thieves not idle: police warn drivers about increase in car thefts