Calgary is one of seven cities, or joint-bidding cities, that have expressed interest in hosting the 2026 Winter Olympics, the International Olympic Committee said on Tuesday.
Austria's Graz, Swedish capital Stockholm, Sion in Switzerland, Turkey's Erzurum, Japan's Sapporo and a joint bid from Italy's Cortina d'Ampezzo, Milan and Turin are also in the initial process.
There is considerable Olympic experience in the field with Calgary having hosted the 1988 Winter Games and Sapporo having staged the 1972 edition. Cortina is also a former host, having organized the 1956 Winter Olympics, with Turin hosting in 2006.
The cities will now enter a dialogue stage until October when the IOC will invite an unspecified number of them to take part in the one-year candidature phase.
The IOC has overhauled the bidding process for Games after a sharp slump in interest from potential cities in recent years, cutting costs for bid cities and slashing the campaign time in half. It has also simplified the seven-year preparation for Games organizers, reducing costs, upping the IOC's contribution and allowing host cities more flexibility in planning for the Olympics and the post-Games use of facilities.
The IOC will elect the winning 2026 bid at its session in Milan in September 2019.
"I warmly welcome the National Olympic Committees' and cities' interest in hosting the Olympic Winter Games," said IOC President Thomas Bach in a statement.
"The IOC has turned the page with regard to Olympic candidatures. Our goal is not just to have a record number of candidates, but ultimately it is to select the best city to stage the best Olympic Winter Games for the best athletes of the world,"
The IOC said there had already been interest for 2030, from the United States Olympic Committee among others. The 2022 Winter Games will be held in Beijing after four other cities dropped out of the bid race for fear of soaring costs and size of the Olympics, leaving the Chinese capital and Kazakhstan's Almaty as the only candidates.
More cities dropped out of the 2024 Summer Olympics race with the IOC opting to award them directly to Paris and in turn give Los Angeles, which had also bid for 2024, the 2028 Games.
Latest USA News
- Inside the horror
- Three-year youth sentence for teen in beating death of Serena McKay
- Child is province's first confirmed case of West Nile virus this year
- Community club to rebuild after fire
- Human remains found at Sagkeeng identified
- Federal environment minister praises Manitoba, criticizes Ontario
- Portage la Prarie gets first new hotel in 30 years
- Squires to keep reproductive-rights file
- 'Unexpected' repairs to choke one of city's major routes
- Shortage of anesthesiologists in Manitoba causing surgery cancellations
- Sharing stories from here, our home
- Refugee's success shows potential of young newcomers
- Ready to launch
- Private practice
- Ferry held hostage until First Nation's problems addressed
- Blue stroll over watered-down Esks
- Time, fire erase last visible ties to community builder
- Former gridiron standout Idonije writes stories encouraging youngsters to be the best they can be
- Former attorney general Roland Penner dead at 93
- Playbook: Caps take 2-1 Cup series lead, Tkachuk a hot NHL prospect, Tiger lurking at Memorial and more...
- Mental illness cited in deaths of Steinbach father and son
- Brrrrr-utal! Spring temperatures likely weeks away
- Wheeler, muckers lead way to victory
- Civil trials moving at brisker pace
- Taking a stand against harassment
- City eyes traffic lights at site of fatal collision
- Winnipeg has love affair with horror
- Waste not, want not
- A valuable space, lost in litigation
- Free Press Head Start for April 3
- Secret life of plants making music
- Ex-Hydro chairman refutes premier
- Wire-to-wire world champ
- Optimism shines bright at upbeat Juno Awards show in Vancouver
- Canada joins U.S., Europe in expelling Russian spies for British poison attack
- Feds ease restrictions on prescription heroin to address opioid epidemic
- Mexico official: Iowa family died from water heater gas leak
- White House: Trump thinks Stormy Daniels lied about threat
- Developer to alter Pembina Highway apartment plans
- It's a great time to be a sports fan in Winnipeg